Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Security

I had an interesting conversation yesterday about security on a school network.  The "Ah Ha" moment for me was when I was informed of the greatest security risk - the USER.  When networks become super secure, the user is encouraged to find ways around the security.  When you can't do what you believe you need to do, frustration and creativity set in.  

I found this amazing and I agree.  Last year, I was introduced to the Yes And concept....  There are three kinds of people.  
No Way - They don't want to try things and whatever you suggest is just a No Way.
Yes, But - They like the ideas but have lots of reasons why it won't, can't or shouldn't work.
and
Yes, And - These people like the ideas AND seek for ways to make them work.  There are always hurdles, and there are lots of ways to overcome hurdles.  In terms of Security, the Yes, And group is the most dangerous.  We don't take no very well and seek creative alternatives.

I had to laugh when a school district recently blocked Facebook.  In the same breath I was told about the blocking, I was informed about UnblockFacebook.com as a way around.  I realize that that may be blocked soon too, and it will have another way around it created just as fast.

In the end, if we weren't so restrictive and diligent with some forms of security, then the Yes And group could do what they believe they need to do without putting their creative energy to just getting access, instead it would be channeled into doing what is needed better.

Kevin

No comments: