Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wow - Value in Newsletters and their title

I have an RSS reader that has right now about 40 feeds with  675 unread updates.  I won't read all of them.  I often skim the subject lines to see if I want to read further.

Today I had a moment to read a newsletter sent out by http://www.edutopia.org/ I knew from the subject line that I would be interested.  It was entitled - Technology that Enables.  I didn't have time to read it back in July when it was sent out.  I am so glad I did today.  It highlighted a 2 minute video about enabling technology including that Acrobat Reader now has built in a Reader function.  It will read the text out.  It is not perfect; however, a free tool that students can apply to any PDF document is amazing.  You could even print your own documents as a PDF and have them read back to you.  Then you can hear if your sentence structure made sense.

I get a lot of email and will often delete email from newsletters or magazines based on their title.  I would have lost this nugget had I not be captured by the subject line.

PC - File Menu - Read Out Loud
Mac - View Menu - Read Out Loud

No comments: