Monday, October 29, 2007

Pushing Writing Literacy

Writing Literacy
Following the post on
http://weblogg-ed.com/2007/pushing-writing-literacy/

I realized that the ways I write today are very different from 10 years ago.
I write this blog, I maintained a weekly podcast for a year, create presentations and I still create newsletters as well.

The newest edition to my repetoire is posting to wikis. I have contributed to Wikipedia and maintain 3 other wikis on wikispaces.com.

Will Richardson is an inspiration to quote and follow up with.

"Makes me wonder, with all of the different ways in which I write, all of the different audiences I write for, all of the different ways I attempt to communicate and engage in conversations and connections around my ideas, it makes me wonder whether we'll ever see these many modes of writing as important enough to teach our kids."

I couldn't agree more. I do see some teachers valuing multiple modes of writing, but they are seen as leading edge or special. Shouldn't preparing our students to be literate be common practice?

No comments: