Saturday, July 7, 2007

Information Avalanche Rescue: RSS Feeds in the Classroom - n07s562


http://eduscapes.com/hightech/spaces/blogs/rss.htm
http://eduscapes.com/sessions/rss

I feel fairly confident with RSS. I found this session a great primer for getting into RSS. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.

I had been using Safari's Bookmark Bar. This was effective; however, I did not have the ability to transfer my feeds to other browsers. I have now switched most over to Google Reader.

Google has many benefits.
-I have put a direct link to the google reader in my bookmark bar
-I was able to import from my older RSS feeds at Bloglines.com

Sharing Feeds....
I haven't set this up yet; however, I know that Del.icio.us offers coding to send your daily bookmarks out as a blog. †I think that most of my feeds meet my interests and my bookmarks are more what I would share.

Classroom applications
I have used RSS for my personal growth for about 1 year now. It is incredible the time that it has saved me in going to sites to see if things have changed. I know what for sites to change and notify me.

I can see incredible opportunities for use in classrooms and for continued professional development.
Here is a brief summary of the Ten Tips for your Classroom provided in this session.

1. Stimulate Interest - provides a fresh look at traditional content
2. Evaluate information - evaluate information from multiple sources for bias.
3. Compare Perspectives - students have easy access to several views on topics.
4. Critique the Critic - students provide critiques for news or blog items citing evidence of their reading.
5. Listen to the Literature -
6. Promote Global Understanding - News feeds from around the world provide different views and information on culture.
7. Differentiate with Audio - iTunes can aggregate your audio feeds for Podcasts and VodCasts
8. Learn Step by Step -
9. Connect a Context - Upto date RSS feeds provide true world context.
10. A Daily Dose - You can either subscribe to daily dose sites for poetry, images, and sounds, or your students can provide them for the class, school or world.

For the Surrey School District, we have developed Information and Media Literacy student learning capacities. †Publishing to the Web and using RSS feeds can build capacity as a user, understanding ones role with technology, inquiry skills, communication, creation and critical thinking skills.

Really Simple Syndication has made my life long learning timely and time sensitive.

Another resource worth looking at is this video in YouTube about RSS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU

No comments: