Thursday, July 5, 2007

Second Life Playground - n07s265


I consider myself fairly forward thinking but I had not stepped into my second life. After visiting the playground, I did sign up for my own avatar.

I signed in, learned how to navigate, and changed my clothes. Then I visited the ISTE island. I am still a newbie in Second Life; however, I see the potential Second Life has.

Some tidbits I collected:
-People are earning a living providing services in Second Life
-Communities are growing
-People of like interests are meeting in Second Life, then meeting face to face because their similar interests brought them to NECC
-There are guidelines for offering and accepting ëfriendshipí in SecondLife.

I have a lot to learn in Second Life but I have started the experience. Second Life is not just for teenagers. Actually, it is not for teenagers. Second Life; you need to be 18 years to join. There is a teen second life that is set up to protect children. If a teacher wanted to create a learning space for their class, they could do so but adults other than the teacher are not allowed in that space.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of second life for teaching is that you can attend a lecture or meeting and you act your role. †Acting your role includes fidgeting, shrugging and answering questions.

So how does this relate to Information and Media Literacy?
Second Life is more than a game for kids. † As of today, it has 7 803 000 residents and more than $2 million real US dollars were exchanged in Second Life. †Students of today are graduating into a world that includes Second Life. †There are two sides to consider in preparing our students - make sure they are safe and make sure they can be successful in their second life.

No comments: