Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Google Literature Trip with Hana's Suitcase


I feel privileged to have created a Google Earth file that follows the lives of Hana Brady and her family as documented in Hana's Suitcase by Karen Levine.

The project involved the basics of reading the book and identifying geographical locations along the way.

The learning for myself (and that I predict for your students )was incredible. I have learned more about WWII than in all my years as a student. I also have learned the value of authentic sources. I have been able to contact several sources including speaking to Ela Weissberger - one of the 132 child survivors of Theresienstadt, Czechoslovakia. This project was by far one of the best learning experiences I have ever had.

I am looking forward to expanding this resource as well as working with other books to create the Google Lit Trip resources.

I have just completed writing the whole package up and publishing in the Apple Learning Interchange. You can find the resource at http://edcommunity.apple.com/ali/story.php?itemID=15418

Kevin

1 comment:

Morah Myra said...

Hi Kevin,
Julia Leong has share your your lit trip with me in our workshop. I am creating an "Ning" site for one of my special needs students at my school